Serving Size: 2
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup, roughly chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup cooked black beans
- 1 medium whole grain tortilla
- 1/2 cup cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- Hot sauce, like Cholula
- Sea salt
1.To prepare the eggs: Scramble the eggs in a small bowl. Season with a couple dashes of hot sauce and a dash of salt.
2. To cook the eggs: Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a medium-sized skillet (either well-seasoned cast iron or nonstick) over medium heat until shimmering. Add the chopped spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add the black beans to the skillet. Pour in the scrambled eggs and cook, stirring often, until the eggs are just set, about 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl to pause the cooking process (the eggs will finish cooking in the quesadilla).
3. To cook the quesadilla (if desired, you can cook two quesadillas at once): In a large skillet, warm the tortilla over medium heat, flipping occasionally. Once the pan and tortilla are warm, sprinkle one half of the quesadilla with ¼ cup cheese. Top the cheese with scrambled eggs, then top the scrambled eggs with almost ¼ cup cheese, reserving about 1 tablespoon of cheese for later. Press the empty tortilla halve over the toppings.
4. Let the bottom side of the quesadilla cook for a minute, then carefully flip the quesadilla with a spatula. Immediately sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of cheese over the hot side of the quesadilla and let it melt as the other side cooks for a couple of minutes. Flip the quesadilla again, and let the cheese sizzle into the quesadilla for a couple of minutes. Use the spatula to get underneath the melty cheese side and flip again. Cook that side for a couple more minutes if necessary, until both sides are a nice, crisp golden brown.
5. Transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board to cool for a few minutes, then slice each quesadilla into 2 slices using a sharp knife.