They say that the best position to work in is the one that you are not currently in! This makes sense when you think about how we are built as human beings. Sitting OR Standing in place for an extended period of time is not the best thing for your health. In order to keep your body loose, your blood flowing, your mind sharp, and the aches and pains to a minimum there are a number of very simple things that you can do throughout the workday.
Complete one or more of the following as frequently as every 15-20 minutes as often as you can in order to keep your mind and your body from becoming what I call “desk dead”.
1. Go from seated to standing or standing to seated...ANY position other
than the one you are in for 2 minutes. A body in motion stays in motion
and that alone can boost mood as well as productivity.
2. Go get a cup of water or go refill your water bottle, EVEN if it is not empty. Hydrate continuously.
3. Get up and go to the restroom, EVEN if you don’t necessarily need to
go. Changing the view, even if only for a couple of minutes can do wonders for your mind. *If you really want to feed your brain, go to the nearest window and look outside for a couple of minutes.
4. If you have been staring at your computer screen for the past 20 minutes or more, fix your eyes on an object that is 20 feet away or more for the next 20-30 seconds.
5. Take 5 breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth in the following manner. Inhale for 5 seconds, hold breath for 5 seconds, exhale for 5 seconds, hold exhale for 5 seconds. Repeat for 5 cycles.
6. Close your eyes and think about something that makes you smile for the next 60 seconds. Let your mind give you a chemical kick.
7. Spend 5-10 minutes listening to binaural beats. These are pretty cool!
8. Toes, Stomach, Sky! You may do this seated or standing. Reach down and touch your toes for 2-5 seconds. Next, sit or stand up nice and tall, place your hands on your stomach and breath in as deeply as you can. Finally, exhale through your mouth and reach for the sky. Do it once or do it ten times, either way it’s beneficial!
9. Give one person a compliment! Give smile and make your brain light up!
10. Perform 10 squats OR knee hugs. Increase the blood flow and increase your energy levels.
Health is our greatest wealth and good physical and mental health results from
an accumulation of the small things that we do in order to maintain it.